Walk To Work Day: Supporting Diabetes Australia
Stop scrolling, start strolling Friday 1 September for Walk to Work Day supporting Diabetes Australia.
Celebrating its 23rd year, Walk to Work Day is being held on Friday 1 September 2023.
The annual event, in support of Diabetes Australia, encourages employees and employers to build regular walking into their daily routines.
With millions of Australians living with all types of diabetes or at risk of type 2 diabetes there has never been a better time to get walking and start on the path to a healthier workplace and a healthier you.
Walking meetings, walking to and from work, taking a walk at lunchtime, and using the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator are just some of the ways you can start.
It’s easy to get involved:
- If you can’t walk all the way, use public transport and get off the bus, train, tram or ferry a few stops earlier and walk the rest of the way to work
- If you do need to drive, try to leave the car a kilometre or two from your destination and walk the rest of the way
- Take a half-hour walk at lunchtime
- Where possible use the stairs rather than escalators or the lift
- If you sit at a desk, be sure to get up and walk around at least once every hour. Get up and talk to your colleagues instead of sending them emails
- If working from home, make sure you take a break and take a walk throughout the day
- Rather than holding meetings around a table, host a “walking meeting”
- Challenge your work mates and compare your step stats daily or weekly in the lead up to the day
To get involved, simply get your place of work walking not only on Walk to Work Day, but everyday!
For more information, please visit walk.com.au